What You’ll Need
- 4-5 large tomatoes (ripe)
- 1 cucumber
- 1 bell pepper (green)
- 1 large onion (red)
- Garnish: salt (sea, to taste)
- Garnish: oregano (dried,
- Greek rigani
- Garnish: Olive oil (top quality extra virgin, to taste)
- 1/4 pound feta cheese, (Greek, sliced or crumbled)
- Optional: pepper
- 1 dozen Greek olives (Kalamata, green Cretan olives, etc.)
- 1 tablespoon of water
- Garnish: pepper (pickled pepperoncini hot peppers)
How to Make It
- Wash and dry the tomatoes, cucumber and green pepper. Clean off the outer skin from the onion, wash and dry.
- Cut the tomatoes into bite-sized irregularly shaped chunks, removing the core. Salt lightly. Slice the cucumber into 1/4-inch slices, cutting slices in half (whether or not you peel the cucumber is a personal choice). Salt lightly. Slice the pepper into rings, removing the stem and seeds. Salt lightly. Slice the onion into thin rings.
- Combine the tomatoes, cucumbers, green pepper and onion in a large salad bowl. Sprinkle with oregano, pour olive oil over the salad, and toss.
- Just before serving, place the feta on top of the salad, either as one slice or crumbled, and sprinkle the cheese with oregano (and pepper, if desired). Toss in some olives.
- Mix a little bit of oil with the water and drizzle over the top. Serve garnished with hot peppers.